Coroner Says Anesthesia Shot, Misplaced, Killed a Patient
One of the two women who died last winter while being readied for cosmetic surgery at Manhattan Eye, Ear and Throat Hospital was given an anesthesia injection in the wrong part of her neck, the medical examiner's office said yesterday. ''If the anesthesia is injected into the wrong tissue, it can be taken up by the body too quickly and cause serious problems,'' said Ellen Borakove, a spokeswoman for the medical examiner's office. ''In this case, the anesthesia went into the tissue in the larynx area, where it does not belong.'' Ms. Borakove said that the improper injection seems to have been inadvertent.